When you run the ipconfig /flushdns command to clear the Domain Name System (DNS) cache on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
When you try to repair the network connection, you receive an error message that resembles the following:
Clearing the DNS Cache
For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.
This problem occurs if the DNS Client service is not running on the computer.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
- In the list of services, click DNS Client.
- Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.
- If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
- Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.
- In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.
- Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.